HARMAN OTA (Over-the-Air) Solution
A Reliable, Convenient, Secure and Economical Way to Update Vehicle Software
HARMAN OTA enables automakers and Tier-1 suppliers to adapt to an evolving market landscape by securely managing all in-vehicle software components, including firmware, applications, configurations, settings and maps on head units, TCUs (Telematics Control Units) and ECUs (Electronic Control Units); anywhere and at any time – whether on the production line, at dealer lots or on car owners’ driveways. The solution is comprised of both backend server components that can either be installed on the customer’s IT premise or hosted by HARMAN, and device side client software components that are installed by the device (TCU/HU/ECU) manufacturer. Trusted by more than 40 global vehicle manufacturers and already deployed on 38 million vehicles, the solution is comprised of both backend server components that can either be installed on the customer’s IT premise or hosted by HARMAN, and device side client software components that are installed by the device (TCU/HU/ECU) manufacturer.
Key Features of the Solution Include:
- 100% field-proven Smart Delta update technology successfully deployed in more than two billion automotive, IoT and mobile devices to date. It allows for update of any software component via the smallest possible, connectivity, storage, and cost-efficient payloads, regardless of OS, chipset and device resource constraints, and with uncompromising security.
- Device Management capabilities enable manufacturers and carriers to easily deliver device settings and configuration updates, via a range of backend facilities. These include a scalable Device Repository and a Device Settings module, a Settings Orchestrator, which ensures device eligibility and compatibility, and coordinates configuration updates, and a Protocol Engine, which handles seamless and secure delivery over a range of device management protocols.
- The granular Software Catalog, part of the solution’s extensive enterprise backend infrastructure, enables manufacturers to manage and maintain a library of firmware and software versions of any size and intricacy, for a huge array of diverse connected devices.
- Over-The-Air (OTA) orchestration of firmware updates, software updates, and data collection can also be enabled using HARMAN SmartAuto, an aftermarket hardware “OBD-II dongle” device that plugs into OBD-II port of any car.
- Reduces software recalls and warranty-related costs via OTA updates
- Provides high reliability and accuracy for navigation and ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) via ongoing map updates
- Delivers secure OTA updates throughout the vehicle lifecycle: engineering, production, shipping, dealership and at home
- Offers uncompromising protection against car connectivity-related cybersecurity threats
- Makes it easy to add new features and functionality post-production
- Enables monetization of vehicle connectivity by service activation and introduction of new service
Features and Benefits
Class-leading Smart Delta technology that delivers the latest firmware, OS, applications, maps updates to connected vehicles over-the-air via the smallest possible payloads.
A versatile backend infrastructure accommodates comprehensive automotive software catalogs and diverse car component inventories
All software updates are performed “in place,” within the available memory. Helps avoid potentially costly ROM upgrades or BOM (Bill of Materials) expansions.
- Roll-back & recovery mechanism in the event of an interruption during the update
- All software updates are performed in the most efficient way to provide superior user experience
- Supports multiple networks – Wi-Fi, cellular, BT
- ASPICE Level 3 certified
Powerful reporting functions providing information and insights on the success rate of vehicles, update campaigns, common errors and fleet status.
Uncompromising security starting with security by design through secured codding and penetration test providing secured OTA update process
- Smart Delta update packages are digitally signed and fully authenticated, delivered directly to connected cars under the strictest compliance with OMA-DM protocols
- Seamless integration with HARMAN SHIELD, for detection, analytics and response to cybersecurity threats
- Software Vulnerability Management add-on to identify & respond to potential component-level vulnerabilities through the supply-chain